Take a Trip with Me Around the World

Who doesn't have a postcard or two?  Roni, from Ink Stains, reminded me that I have some very cool postcards.  I thought I'd share a few.  Since I can remember I've collected postcards.  My dad would send them to me when he was on TDY for the Air Force.  I saved them in an ooooo-old scrapbook.  Once I was able to travel on my own I found picking up postcards of landmarks or something cultural was better than my camera.  After a while my friends would pick up postcards for me.  Thus a collection is born.

I love these particular postcards because of the time period they represent.  I actually purchased these from an antique shop.  They capture places and events beautifully.  The cards are brilliant, but the scans are grainy. 

Click on the postcard to see more details.

1911
Yosemite National Park, California
At the time the oldest and largest giant sequoias in Mariposa Grove. 

Postmarked 1911
Portland, Oregon
It's like a scene from a movie, but actually part of our history.
It has a one cent stamp


The postmark is faint, but from what I can tell it was in the 30's.
Burma
Stamps are from Burma
"So I made it to Burma.  Very good stop indeed.  There are many things to see and the tourists are few in number.  I have just come back from up country, i.e. Mandalay and Pogan, which is said to be a kind of second Sagkor (?).  It was great!  Flying to Bangkok tomorrow.  Hope to go to Laos too."
Isn't it cool to look back at the writing and the English prior to computers and social media?


Postmarked 1955
Sent via military mail
Landskrona Municipality, Skåne County, Sweden

Postmarked 1955
A courthouse in Brussels
From "Hazel" to her mother
Excerpt: "So many wonderful things.  Wish you could be with me."


Postmark 1955
Neuschwanstein Castle is a 19th-century Gothic Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany.
Another from "Hazel" to "Mrs. Boyner"

Due to Labor Day festivities here in the states I won't be posting on Monday, but I will be back
Tuesday for a wonderful, surprise giveaway.  Hint, Hint:  want to be a Rockstar?

I have a challenge for myself.  Ruth and I are going antiquing to see what we can find for 5 dollars or less.  We are putting a cap on our spending just to see what we can find that works into our paper art.  Wish us Luck.
Have a Crafty Weekend!

Gratitude List
1.  enough energy to make each day
2.  great movement in my life
3.  a day of grandchildren, my blessing
4.  friends who brighten my day with a cup of coffee and a chat
5.  a love from God that follows me all day long

Comments

  1. Hi Debby, thanks for sharing all of these wonderful old postcards from around the world! And good luck with your 5 dollar hunting :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love postcards! These are great. Thanks for sharing. Antiquing sounds fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antique postcards are super cool! When we first moved to Massachusetts I surprised my husband with an album full of old postcards from our new city. Have fun on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special to have all those old postcards. I love that you can read what the poster wrote.

    When I went away I bought postcards and then journaled on the back about our day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Great postcards! I used to collect them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice postcards! Have fun antique shopping. Show us what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you and have a thing for old postcards too. In fact, I used some on a layout I did a while back to document what I wish I could do. You can see it at the following link if you care to. http://www.studiocalico.com/forums/galleries/show/23351

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is such an awesome idea! I love it! Good luck to you and Ruth....'hope that you find some neat things. Have a great weekend!!

    Oh, congrats on your feature by Glue Dots. It is so well-deserved!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!