Everyday Techniques: Leftovers and Tiny Pieces with December Daily Part 7

I have been so frugal using my Bo Bunny Christmas Carousel paper collection that I believe I am going to have nearly a whole pack left over (I purchased 2 packs).  It is so much fun to use those small pieces from one page to the next.  I am a hoarder of "little pieces" of paper.  My goal is to start using a lot of those pieces.  I found what better way to add those finishing or creative touches than with a tiny piece of "leftovers."

Gingerbread

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousel
Tim Holtz Typed Token Christmas, Typography Christmas, Vintage Photo Distress Ink, Jingle Bells brad
Buttons, Sequins, ribbon

The use of the sequins in a circle is nothing new, but I will warn you...sew them down!  The more my page moves the more they would come off.  I went back and added a bit more and stronger glue, but to assure yourself they will stay take a few moments and add the thread.

You can see the little leftover in several places including gingerbread items from another line that I had saved.  I love to create collages.  Here are my layers:  the photo and sequins, the gingerbread man, tag made from Bo Bunny CC, the star from Bo Bunny CC, Tim's tokens and jingle bells with a piece of ribbon I saved from an early layout.  Use what you've got!

Love collage!

What I learned about mixed media...give each layer your best but don't be afraid of covering bits and pieces to add to the overall effect.  The same goes with paper and embellishments.  I loved the circle of sequins, but I brought myself to cover pieces with fussy cut pieces and other elements.

Jingle Bells

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousel
Tim Holtz Typed Token Christmas, Word Bands Christmas, Typography Christmas, Vintage Photo Distress Ink

Again, I am going through pieces of leftovers and creating collages.  Using all Bo Bunny:  the large poinsettia, orange slice, candy cane, bells, word "Jingle Bells," and Fa La La La La banner.  All are pieces I've cut around.

More fussy cutting added to layers of paper.

Layers of paper underneath these little banners which are fussy cut from the Bo Bunny collection.  I added a bit of ink around the edges and faux stitching.  These are little pieces that are perfect on a page.

Fussy cut the Bo Bunny ribbon and added Tim's "festive" token.

Collage and layering are perfect in using those little leftovers on a page.

Everyday Techniques
  • Collaging those little pieces you don't think you can use.
  • I love inking the edges of my papers that I cut.  When you cut a piece of white core paper it leaves a distinct white edge.  So ink it!
  • Set aside any leftover ribbon or embellishment to use again quickly.  I keep a small tray litterally near where my hand and eyes look when I'm working so that I will remember to look through it for tiny pieces that I can add to my project.
  • Create a big element but don't be afraid to cover part of it up as you bring your page to life.
  • Layer leftover papers to create your foundation. 
Working through these techniques are exciting.  Some are old standard techniques and some are part of the newer trends.  Either way, adding bits and pieces of leftovers to your pages brings a bit of satisfaction that you maximized the potential of the paper you purchased.


Inspired To Created/Encouraged To Try
 

Comments

  1. Love that you used left over paper to create this gorgeous page. No waste here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't look like itty bitty scraps anymore. They appear to have belonged forever. Beautiful pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I am also a hoarder of bits and pieces. Unfortunately, I often forget to use up the left-overs, which results in baggies and boxes FULL of odds and ends from previous projects. I have recently gone through some of that stash and put them on my craft table so I see them everytime I sit down to work on a project. As you say, they are more likely to get used if they're in plain sight. I always love your beautiful collage style layouts and will be motivated to use that stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is my favorite. I love everything about it-the kind of page I would be so proud to make. Your use of all the small pieces is fantastic-all those perfect little touches. No I have try and find some of this BoBunny paper
    I keep saying this, but I am not good about commenting. I have so enjoyed this month. Other people show their December Dailies and I enjoy seeing them. But you did slowly, explained so well, and gave me a chance to savor all the little nuances. You have inspired me. Not a Christmas thing, but I'm planing a journal/diary of this summer's hummer, monarch journey.
    Thank you much for all the time and you love you put into showing us what you created and how you did it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!