Everyday Techniques-Background...December Daily Part 10

I've posted the last two layouts from my December Daily adventure and my list of Everyday Techniques.  I decided to focus on creating easy backgrounds using mixed media and Tim Holtz's new layering stencils.

O Christmas Tree


Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousal paper collection
Technique Tuesday frames
Tim Holtz vintage photo, evergreen bough, forest moss, fire brick, and gathered twigs Distress Ink, Distress Oxide fossilized amber,  Tim Holtz Layering Stencil String
Ranger Archival Ink Coffee

My pages are 8 x 8, but I was determined to use this deer on one of my pages.  It is too large for the page so the antlers but a little cut does not diminish its design.

The paper is one of Bo Bunny's Christmas Carousel pages.  It is light green printed with a beautiful design.  I used Tim's layering stencil, String (new release), turned it on its side and inked the paper with Distress Ink evergreen bough, forest moss, gathered twigs.  I lined up the stencil and continue throughout the page.  I did a little fire brick splatter.  I heat dried the ink in-between the layers.

I added white gesso by rubbing it on with my finger in the same direction of the stencil.

I feel like I made a forest.

Again, I am using my older stash, in this case, Technique Tuesday's frames with a set of old Christmas stamps.  The background of the frame is Distress Oxide fossilized amber, spritz with water, and then back over sections with the fossilized amber.

The holly leaves are off an old project I made for my husband years ago.  We decided it was time to recycle the parts.

Star Wars

Story
Fun night with my husband and sons watching the newest Star Wars movie.

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousal paper collection
Tim Holtz film strip, Layering Stencil Code, Transparent Tile Christmas letters, Distress Ink pumice stone, fire brick, and hickory smoke
Embossing Ink and embossing powder, red acrylic paint

Using the Tim Holtz Code layering stencil  I swiftly inked the entire paper using embossing ink.  I added clear embossing powder and heated.  Any spots I missed I went back and inked and embossed again.

I inked the page with pumice stone and hickory smoke Distress Ink.  I inked one section then wiped the area with a slightly damp paper towel to uncover the embossed area.  I continued throughout the page.  After the entire page was ink I went back and added the fire brick Distress Ink in random areas.  Again, I wiped the embossing with a damp paper towel.

I layered the paper, tickets, photo, and filmstrip.

The title, although hard to read in the photo, is great on the page.  I left it clear (a little Star War-ish).  I splattered red paint to bring out the letters and some of the background (again, a little Star War-ish).

Everyday Techniques
  • Pull out the old stash and add it to your projects.  Go through your older papers and embellishments on regular bases to see what would be fun to use.
  • As you create a multi-page project save those smaller pieces for layering.  Trick:  if the pieces are too small tuck them behind the photo OR cut the piece in half.  With a ruler, helping to line up pieces, add a strip to the top of the page with the bottom part under the photo.  Do the same for the bottom part of the strip with the top of the strip tucked under the photo.
  • Buy an older style Dymo Label Maker (Office Depot carries them) and create your title.
  • Something Donna Downy taught me was it is okay to cut off edges of photos and embellishments.  My deer was slightly cut off and I've cut off sides of arms, top of heads, etc of photos.
  • Incorporate pattern paper for your background to create a mixed media background. 
  • Emboss your page using stencils.
  • Splatter!  Spritz water into a small dab of paint, mix well, load your paintbrush and tap the brush to distribute the paint.  I cut out a piece of cardstock to cover the photo before "splatting."
Hopefully, this series of blog posts inspired you to use new techniques AND to brave any type of daily project.  Although I love the kits by Ali Edwards' December Daily and other like projects, I find that I can do one as easily with my stash old, new, or both.

This is the end of my layouts from my December Daily SOOOOOO my giveaway to be announced at the end of the week!

Inspired To Created/Encouraged To Try
 

Comments

  1. Great tips!!! Your project turned out wonderful. I must say I love that large deer, he is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great techniques. The background for the deer - nailed it!! I need to break out my dynamo. It's been awhile. Great pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Love the use of the film strip. One of my favorite things to use. Really have enjoyed how you used this paper collection. Luckily for my credit card, it is nowhere to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stenciled backgrounds add wonderful texture to your pages and gives a nice wintery feel to the design. I love your use of the large deer ephemera! The fact that it's a little large for the page, so had to be cut down, actually makes the whole design more interesting. Your album is just a work of art!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!