Everyday Techniques: Popping Elements! December Daily Part 8

Highlighting die cuts and embellishments are a great way to add pop your pages.  It can be a challenge but I've learned "my page is my page" and I can do what I want!  LOL  Here are a couple of "my pages" for December Daily.

Getting Ready for Family
Story
Another night of wrapping presents and getting ready for our family Christmas Eve. 

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousal paper collection, chipboard ornament
Tim Holtz Flash Card Holiday, Alterations Packages & Bows, Thinlits Handwritten Love, Chitchat Holidays. Distress Ink Peeled Paint and Vintage Photo, Fastenater
Ranger Pearls, Glossy Accent, Stickles Diamond

I die cut "family" and "together."  It seems to fade into a very busy background so I used a fine point Sharpie and outlined the outer and inner edges and it brought out the words beautifully.

I had the same problem with this die cut.  Busy background and busy paper for the packages.  I popped it off the page by outlining the inner part of the boxes, giving them a more formed look.  I also used Distress Ink Vintage Photo and inked the edges.  I also highlighted the lines by adding a bit of Vintage Photo.  I love the look.

I highlighted the Flashcards by adding the pink ribbon and bow.  I tucked them in and your eye is drawn to the large look of this corner. 

A bit of fun...many garments, especially PJ's, come wrapped with ribbon.  I save mine.  This ribbon is one.  You can save tags, interesting metal pieces (I saved clips that come with folded items), and ribbon. The point is, nothing is off limits!

Candy Cane
The Story
We were at a Nursing Home for the girls to perform tap for the residents.  There was a beautiful Christmas Tree in the lobby.  Little's brother found it totally fascinating.  He was pointing to different items on the tree when I ran across the candy cane.  I can still hear his voice as he raised the volume of his voice, points to the candy cane, excitingly declares "CANDY CANE!"  The volume and emphasis of his voice were awesome.  

Notables
Bo Bunny Christmas Carousal paper collection
Tim Holtz Typed Token Holidays, Thinlits Home for the Holidays, Distress Ink Vintage Photo, Chitchat Words
Sizzix Thinlits Winter Deer
I highlighted my buttons by adding them to the brown base.  Honestly, I am not sure what it is but it came in a tin of buttons I purchased at an antique shop.  Whatever they are it popped my buttons nicely.

I love inking edges.  It takes away the white edge you have after cutting the paper and it separates it from the foundation.  When you work with layers of pattern papers you can mat photos and elements or you can ink it up!

The letters are from an older item by Webster's Pages called Storytellers.  I added them and then highlighted the inner part of the word with Faber-Castel ink pen.  Now it doesn't get lost in the background.  Pop your Chitchat words with edging it with ink or give is an outline of some sort.

I also added a bit of white acrylic paint behind the edges of the photo adding to the snow effect.

Everyday Techniques
  • Pop items on your page by using a pen to outline, ink to highlight, or trace a letter, or add a design to a white-backed word. 
  • Layer embellishments
  • Highlight with paint/gesso
  • Edge with Stickles/Glitter glue
  • With metal pieces that have a recessed word or image use paint to highlight it.  (Add paint to the metal piece, give it a minute, remove excess paint with your finger being careful not to wipe the paint from the highlight image/word.)
  • Save items from clothing purchases and use them as elements on your page.
I'm nearing the end of my December Daily project and gearing up for Easter/Spring projects.  I'm also readying my garden, kids areas, and updating some fun yard craft/art for Spring  Exciting time of the year!

Reminder:  I am doing a giveaway in honor of the December Daily posts when I am finished.  All comments on all the DD posts will be counted.  Have fun!


Inspired To Created/Encouraged To Try
 

Comments

  1. Very impressed with you DD album. Love all the details and there is sure to be a fight over this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That album will be sooo cherished. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the tips on using patterned die cuts on a patterned base. I have the hardest time combining patterns, just because of this reason. Adding the inked edges and emphasizing the lines made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, ask a question, or just bring the chocolate for your next visit to Ds Paper Studio!